Welcome to Paris! Our Capital, city of lights, loves to reveal its intimate side to walkers...
You will be able to buy good shoes from our neighbours Le Vieux Campeur, specialist in hiking.
Paris’s weather is changeable, so bring some warm clothes whatever the season, or else Le Vieux Campeur can supply you. Here is a link to the next few days’ weather forecast: http://fr.weather.com/weather/10day-Paris-FRXX0076
TAKE NOTE about taxis in rush hours. There are very few taxis in Paris so that it is often impossible to book one between 8 and 11 am or between 4 and 8 pm, even in advance!!! What is more, traffic congestion makes the fare a lot more expensive!
Use the metro instead: http://www.ratp.fr/
Single tickets = 1,70 €
Booklet of 10 tickets = 12 €
For the airports, please ask us to book your TAXI on the eve of your departure!!!
The Carte Paris Visite can be worth your while, giving unlimited bus and metro rides for 1 day €9.30, 2 days €15.20, 3 days €20.70 or 5 days €29.90: http://www.ratp.fr/fr/ratp/c_21894/paris-visite/
Install the RATP application on your mobile to facilitate your travel: http://www.ratp.fr/fr/ratp/c_21901/services-mobiles/
Don’t miss the OPEN TOUR with its commentaries in all languages to discover Paris for the first time: 1 day for €29 / 2 days for €32.
To catch the bus close to the Hotel:
- 3 rue Lagrange (towards the centre)
- 94 bd Saint Germain (towards the Institut du Monde Arabe –National Library)
- 4 rue du Petit Pont (towards the South)
Get there early to visit the large museums or sights such as the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Musée d’Orsay, to avoid long waits in the queue! Admission to museums costs between €8 and €15. If you visit more than 4 museums in 2 days, the Carte Musée et Monuments becomes worthwhile. You can buy it at the Musée de Cluny, right next to our hotel, or else at the Towers of Notre Dame!
Taxi fares: the taximeter displays the fare and one of the three following letters: A, B or C. If you are in Paris itself or on the Boulevard Péripherique, the A rate applies by day between 6 am and 8 pm, and the B rate at night until 6 am. When you leave Paris itself, the driver will change to B rate by day, then C rate from 8 pm. If you are far from Paris, C rate applies at all times. You will pay a supplement for any luggage carried in the car’s boot, and if you take the taxi from an airport. Don’t try to hail a taxi in the street if you are less than 100 metres from a station: taxis cannot take passengers close to a station; they are required to join the station taxi rank. So either get further away from the station, or go to the station taxi rank.
RESTAURANTS: We will provide you with a list of the best recommendations in our quarter. Restaurants begin to fill up around 12:15 pm and stay full till 1:30. In the evening, they start filling up around 7:30 and don’t start emptying before 10 pm. If you don’t want a long wait, take an early supper, from 6 to 7 pm. Take note: restaurants rarely serve between 2 and 6 pm.
Having a drink on a café terrace and watching the Parisian and foreign passers-by is such a pleasant way to pass the time! But you should know that your drink will probably cost more outside than inside the café.
Tipping: your bill is "service included", that is say you don’t need to leave a tip. If the waiter seems nice and willing and you want to show appreciation, you can leave him 1 euro at the café, and a few euros at the restaurant. But you are not expected to!
OTHER SERVICES IN THE IMMEDIATE VICINITY OF OUR HOTEL
PUBLIC CAR PARK
- LAGRANGE 5 Rue Lagrange : 4,80€/1h30 - 27€/jour - 115€/sem.
- MAUBERT ST GERMAIN 37 Bd St Germain: 4,80€/1h30 - 27€/jour - 115€/sem.
- 21 rue de l’Ecole de Médecine : 4,80€/1h30 ou 27€/jour.
BANK - CHANGE
- BELLWORD 25 bd St Michel
- SOCIETE GENERALE 27 bd St Michel
- BANC 10 rue Monge
- CHANGE 3 rue Lagrange
MULTIMEDIA + LIVE SHOWS + PHOTOS
- FNAC DIGITALE 77 Bd Saint Germain 01.53.10.44.44
TRANSPORT TRAVEL AGENCY
- SNCF 54 bd St Michel = Agence de voyage, location voitures hotels etc...
- ou station RER St Michel (entrée Place St Michel) Tel : 3635
(To buy cigarettes, stamps, telephone and parking cards)
- Le TWICKENHAM 68 Bd St Germain 01.43.54.52.44
- TABAC du Collège de France 21 rue Jean de Beauvais 01.43.54.59.20
(to send letters and parcels, or buy SIM cards for mobile phones)
- PARIS-SORBONNE 13 rue Cujas 01.44.41.49.80
- PARIS-JUSSIEU 1 rue des Ecoles 01.44.41.16.20
- SORBONNE CAZE 49 rue des Ecoles 01.43.54.26.10
- NORMALE DU CLUNY 33 rue Saint Jacques 01.43.54.98.26
- on Place Maubert
- on the corner of Boulevard St Michel and Boulevard St Germain.
- Laverie automatique à pièce 4 rue Jean de Beauvais
- 5 à sec (dépose de vos vêtements) 4 rue des Carmes
PHOTOS TO PRINT OR SEND
- PHOTO VIDEO ALEXANDRE 6 rue Monge 01.46.33.64.77
- PHOTOCOPIES MISTRAL 40 bis rue Saint Jacques 01.43.54.46.36
Buy a MOBILE TELEPHONE
- THE PHONE HOUSE 64 Bd Saint Germain
- Salon AUDEBERT 88 bd Saint Germain 01.43.26.90.25
Men-Women – Beauty parlour,
open daily from 10am to 7pm except Monday from 12 noon to 8 pm. Closed Sunday.
SPORT – FITNESS - SWIMMING POOL
- Club Jean de Beauvais 5 rue Jean de Beauvais 01.46.33.16.80
Body building and balneotherapy, open every day from 7am to 10pm and weekends from 9am to 7pm
(admission €45 per day or €115 for 3 days, then €165 per week)
- Club Quartier Latin 19 rue Pontoise 01.55.42.77.88
open every day from 7am to midnight and weekend from 9:30 am till 7pm (admission €15 per day)
(Clothes – Fresh fruits - Vegetables)
- Place Maubert: Tuesday, Thursdays and Saturdays
- Place Monge: Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays
(Food and Cosmetics)
- Franprix 2 rue Domat
- Franprix 28 rue de la Montagne Sainte Geneviève
- Monoprix 35 Boulevard Saint-Michel 01 44 07 24 49
- COFFEE: Brûlerie de Maubert 3 rue Monge 01.46.33.38.77
- CHEESE: Crèmerie 47 ter bd St Germain 01.43.54.50.93
La Halle aux vins 47 ter bd St Germain 01.43.54.57.96 ou NICOLAS 5 rue Monge 01.43.54.86.26
- UMBRELLAS, VARIOUS ACCESSORIES:
Bazar des Ecoles, 20 rue de la Montagne Ste Geneviève 01.46.33.77.96
- PERFUMES: Marionnaud 66 Bd Saint Germain
- POLICE SECOURS 17
- POMPIERS 18
- SAMU 15
- SOS MEDECINS 01.47.07.77.77
- HOPITAL HOTEL DIEU, 1 place du Parvis de Nôtre-Dame, 01.42.34.82.34